The “South King” is a impressive figure painted in contrasting bright colors. The Heavenly King Hall, built in the Ming Dynasty, was originally a place where Buddhist scriptures were translated and printed. The site was expanded in 1759 to become a complete set of temples. The main halls in TianWang are the Bell Tower, Drum Tower, DaCiZhenRu Hall, Glazed-Tile Tower and Heavenly King Hall. Also known as 'Xi Tian Fan Jing' (Western Paradise Hall), it was a Zen Lama temple during the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644).
Beihai Park, northwest of the Forbidden City, is largely occupied by the North Sea. a huge lake that freezes in winter and blooms with lotuses in summer. Old folk dance together outside temple halls and come twilight, young couples cuddle on benches. It's a restful place to stroll around, rent a rowing boat in summer and watch calligraphers practising characters on paving slabs with fat brushes and water.